Monday, April 21, 2008

Asparagus Galore!

'Tis the Season for ASPARAGUS!

I bought 50 pounds of asparagus this past week so I could make pickled asparagus. I love canning. The asparagus was really fresh so it should make for some great pickles - now I have to wait. The more patient I am the better the pickles.



It takes a lot of water and a lot of different kettles, but since moving to Oregon pickled asparagus has become a favorite for me to can.



This is the bottom of the jar before I start packing it with asparagus. This year I added a slice of onion to each jar. I'm always trying something new, you just never know when you might find that prize winning combination!



I leave the asparagus in cold water after I have cleaned it. It helps to plump the spears and make them nice and firm for packing.



I like to get my jars packed tight because as I water bath the jars, the asparagus shrinks down a little. Isn't that a pretty jar?



Water bathed and now cooling. I love hearing the sound of the snap as the lid sucks down and you know you have a good seal!



There they are. All sealed and ready to be put on the shelf so they can pickle to perfection or at least I hope so. I got 18 quarts out of my 2 boxes. Had to leave a little for eating fresh - it's just so yummy!

2 comments:

A.S.K.-P. said...

Oh YUMMY!
I WANT SOME!
I WANT SOME!
I WANT SOME!
LOL

Lindsay said...

I can't wait to get a jar :)

Great to see you last night... hopefully again soon :)